Sunday, November 4, 2007

To: Completely Inept Property Management Company


To: Completely Inept and Shockingly Expensive Property Management Company*
Re: Pollution - 3 Different Kinds
November 4, 2007

Hi Beevis and Butthead,

I live with Dr. Dinnerman in unit xxx in This Big Building. The Dinnerman owns this unit.
I am writing to tell you that since the opening of the Sexy New Club in the space which used to house the Cool Old Club, there has been an extremely strong and noxious cigar smoke odor in certain hallways of the building. Specifically, the smoke has been coming up the stairs that front on Front Street near the entrance of the Sexy New Club and continuing all the way down that second floor hallway inside the building. This smell was overwhelming just now, at 6pm on Sunday November 4th, as I walked down that hallway to the trash chute. Since the Sexy New Club just opened and is not currently busy (judging by the paucity of people there as I looked through the windows), presumably this air pollution will only get worse as their business picks up, if nothing is done about it by management. Perhaps they need stronger mechanisms of air filtration in place?
I think you would agree that we as we residents should not have to be subjected to this air pollution in our hallways, through which we cannot avoid walking.

On another note, I wanted to bring to your attention some noise pollution which I have experienced on 2 occasions from the brick workers in the courtyard. On Friday afternoon, November 2, 2007, there was loud country music playing right outside my window, along with continuous loud yelling by the people working on the side of the building. I did not say anything then, but I was disturbed as I was trying to work on my computer at home at the time, and the music was very loud (and very country).
Today, Sunday, November 4, 2007, I came home from breakfast around 9:30am and was met with even louder talking, yelling, and music, this time coming from men on a scaffolding directly outside my windows. This is highly inappropriate for a Sunday morning. It's one thing for this kind of noise during business hours, but inexcusable on a Sunday morning. After about 2 hours of this, I went out on my balcony and asked the guys if they could keep the yelling at a minimum (as The Dinnerman was on a work-related international telephone conference and was having trouble concentrating with all the noise). I was essentially met with disrespect and arguing. I told them that I understood they had to make noise, and it wasn't the noise of them doing their job that was disturbing, but rather all the yelling and lewd comments directly outside my window for hours on a Sunday morning.
They quieted down somewhat, but why is this necessary? Why do we have to put up with this? Why isn't the management company handling these types of things? Why isn't there someone paying more attention to this type of thing so we as residents, paying high fees, don't have to? It is quite frustrating.

Also, last week there was air pollution in the form of a strong natural gas smell in the mail room. I called the 24 hour line and got the answering service, who told me that they were essentially waiting to see how many calls they got from This Big Building before acting on it (calling "Chumley"). I don't know about you, but when I smell natural gas I don't get a peaceful easy feeling, and I think it's responsible to call the gas company or whomever. This is why we have a management company. If I owned a home, I would make the call myself. Long story short, I had to call 3 or 4 times before anything was done about it. It shouldn't have to be this hard! Especially with something as potentially serious as a natural gas or other combustable leak. I mean, if it's a question of bothering "Chumley" or maybe blowing up, it should be a no-brainer, right?
It turned out to be an issue with the furnace needing to be reset, but at the time it was rather disconcerting to say the least.

I appreciate your attention to these matters.

Sincerely,
Your Greatest Fan

*Note: Names in red have been changed for privacy purposes.

No comments: