Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Smurfette Needs a Job, But Not That Badly

So, I guess it's no secret that I have been looking for a job. My "professional background" is mostly centered around the administrative and managerial aspects of the medical business. That began as a "favor" to a "friend", and ballooned into an occupation and lifestyle, from which I ultimately was set free, just over a year ago.
I have a biology degree, which I chose to acquire because at the time I wanted to go to medical school. I still do, but now realize that that's really not cost or time effective.
So, I am searching for something that allows me to utilize my crazy talents, live my life, and feed my soul.
I am very creative, as you can see. I am musical, good with words, organized, meticulous, and I think outside the box. I am supremely sick of seeking employment. I'd love a book deal.

But, in the mean time, I can write! I can type...I can sing, I could learn to dance...I can cook, clean, do laundry...

(You see, I hope, that this is somewhat "tongue-in-cheek" - some people just can't understand my humor)

So, I sent my resume to this job posting on craigslist today, for an "assistant to the editor" position.

And I got this email response:

"Hi Stephanie, I don't see a natural connection between what you have been doing professionally and this position. Could you tell me more about why this interests you, Jim"

To which I replied:

"Hi Jim,

What I have been doing professionally is really not a reflection of what I thought I would do, or what I've wanted to do. I sort of "fell" into my previous jobs, which largely as a favor to a friend in need. It snowballed from there, and I stayed way too long. That's the short version of the story.
Perhaps there's not much "natural" in the way I have approached life, but then again, maybe it all translates into a bizarre journey anyway, no matter your plan. I think I have stifled my creative side over the years. I chose biology as a major because, at the time, I wanted to go to medical school. I no longer want that.
I have always had an affinity to the printed word and image. Long before I was drawn to anatomy, I was sucked in by photography. I write. I sing. I play the guitar. I am both left and right brained.
I don't know, maybe I don't fit the mold. But that's what makes me special.

I am also a stickler for correctness in the printed word. I cannot read anything without analyzing it grammatically and fixing typographical errors in my mind. That's me.

I am looking for a good fit - a position in which I can thrive, grow, and shine. If I wanted to simply earn $10/hr I'd get a job at the Shell Station on Wickenden Street, which gets robbed with regularity. I'm not that desperate yet, due to the kindness and generosity of my binky (and not the kindness of family, or strangers).

Best wishes, and sincerely hope you find what you're looking for.

Ciao,
Stephanie"



Thanks for reading, people. It will all work out, I am sure.
Hope you have a memorable Tuesday evening.

Hugs!

No comments: