Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Prelude to Pasta

Ugh. It's been one of those weeks so far. Yes, one of those weeks - you can't find your muse, and the thrill is gone. Life seems to rain on your every parade, people ignore you, and then you break a tooth on an almond.

How contrived it feels then to write these words, "Brighten Your Dark Day With a Cheery and Simple Arugula Salad, The Perfect Prelude To Pasta", but write them I have, because they contain the truth.

Take a bunch (or a bag if you're like me) of arugula, toss with a little bit of hazelnut oil (it's a bit pricey, but well worth it. Hazelnut oil lends a subtlety and delicate nuttiness to this salad, though good olive oil works too. I go both ways...with this salad, I mean)
Shave some pecorino romano cheese and squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top, kosher salt and pepper to taste, and there it is!

It also works with feta or any goat cheese, and you can gild the lily by topping with toasted hazelnuts, but this salad is so quick, refreshing and easy no matter the variation, and makes a perfect little plate before the pasta!

(Got to call the dentist...I am staring at a piece of me in the form of a tooth as I type this. Here we go - taking a shot at Wednesday...)

No comments: