Saturday, November 10, 2007

In Spite of My Anti-Snarking Policy, I Will Blog About The Rotten Oyster


I have a problem with the online bitching and moaning about random bad restaurant experiences. It's just not fair, as a rule. A proper judgement cannot be based upon a singular encounter.

But, sometimes something happens that hits you a little too close for comfort, and, well, you just have to let it out, dammit!

Three little details make this rather negative experience ok to talk about, in my mind:

1) I've eaten at this place many many times over the past 5 years. Many times. And I've loved it, every time.

2) This is my Dr. Dinnerman we're talking about. My Dinnerman - 'nough said.

3) This matter was dealt with in a rather cavalier fashion by our waitress. Not adequately handled.

Here it is: Dr. Dinnerman ate a bad oyster at the Providence Oyster Bar this afternoon. Like, rotten bad. Ammonia-smelling bad. Yeah.

The waitress apologized, and said she'd take the oysters off our bill. She took exactly 2 of the 8 oysters off the bill. Thanks so much for that.

Fortunately, the Dinnerman has the means by which to procure certain antibiotics as a rather valiant effort to ward off any potential gastrointestinal symptoms. Fortunately, the man has a stomach that produces more than its share of acid, which can't be good for pathogens.

And if things get really messy, I will be his Florence Nightengale at the bedside.

A prayer for Dr. Dinnerman. Yo.




No comments: