Thursday, November 8, 2007

Anniversary of the Barracuda


So, it was exactly a year ago that Dr. Dinnerman caught me a barracuda in Cancun, which someone grilled up for us on the Isla de Mujeres (that's the Island of Women, for all of you who studied French in college).

It was singularly the best meal of my life, and I've done some eating.

It was brilliant in its simplicity, and in that we took home the knowledge that we fed a village (at least) with all the fish he caught.


This all happened on a day where both the sky and the water were the blue-est of blue, and no one was on the boat but us, and when I had to pee they gave me, gringo woman ("number one or number two?") with small bladder, a bucket and they all respectfully turned their backs, and we ate together, like a family, on the island. Tortillas, salsa, lime, arroz, and spectacularly simple grilled barracuda. Bellisimo! (Magnifique!)
I could live there...it's safe in my head, a place in which I seek refuge.


Barracuda. Catch some. It's what's for dinner.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This person should know that humans should never eat barracuda fish. These fish eat other toxic fish in the ocean and can store this toxin in there flesh. Please do not catch these fish for food. It is dangerous to your health. Sport fishing for them is just fine.