Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Vieux Carre, you say? What's that?

Rick's Roadhouse, at the bar. Tuesday evening. Lovely sunny summer day, clear summer night. Farewell to our friend, round 2. School in Philly. Back soon! Lots of laughs. Lots of drinks. Yummy roasted peanuts. Stories, jokes. Jovial folks. Kids with crocs. Crocs with socks.

What can I get for you today?

One Heineken Light, and one Vieux Carre!

What's that? I've never heard of it!

Here's the recipe; which I found for free. (Dinnerman looks on and says, for real? Steph? You kidding me?)

Bartender looks blankly at me. Hmm. No can do. Benedictine, we lack.

Rye Manhattan then. (I'm now a convert; bye-bye to bourbon.)

Bar to booth. Orders placed, food in mouths. Feet in mouths. Hands in pants. (?)

Bartender fly-by - that ordered drink? We want to make it in days to come.
On the rocks, you say?

Yes, I think.

We hope to have it, by your next visit!

Thanks, appreciate that, say I.


And I walk away quite satisfied. :)


Here's the recipe that launched a thousand ships. Google it if you want to know more.

Vieux Carre

1 ounce rye whiskey
1 ounce Cognac
1 ounce sweet vermouth
1 teaspoon Bénédictine D.O.M.
2 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Mix all ingredients in a double Old Fashioned glass over ice; stir.


Let me just sum this up to say the tonight, Rick's Roadhouse exceeded my expectations. I'm sure that our fantastic friends had a big hand in framing this evaluation, but I also think the food was better than my first visit. The Dinnerman's brisket was not so dry. My peel and eat shrimp were good. The rye was flowing.
Still, I want to smoke my own meats, stew my black eyed peas.
And I will, I will.

Just not tonight...

No comments: