Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ragu with Mushrooms and Sausage



This past weekend I concocted yet another variation on the old pasta with red sauce riff. This time I sauteed diced onion in some olive oil and then added hot Italian sausage, out of the casing, along with some ground pork and crimini mushrooms. After this cooked for a bit I added minced garlic, cooked it a little longer, then poured in some white wine. I let the wine cook off and dumped in 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes. This time I threw in a handful of crushed red pepper and a celery stalk (because Joanne told me to do that once). I let it simmer for an hour or so and turned off the heat. When it was cool, the entire pan went into the fridge overnight.

It's nice to make a big pot of gravy ahead of time. That way all that's left to be done is to make a quick salad and boil the pasta. This past Sunday we had the gravy with rotelle pasta and a nice bottle of Bonny Doon Syrah.
As usual, there was lots of gravy leftover. Some went into the freezer, and some became my lunch today over some cheese ravioli from Gem (some of my favorite ravioli around). I topped this dish with dollops of fresh ricotta from Narragansett Creamery, which I had been dying to try and finally bought at yesterday's farmers' market. It was incredibly rich and flavorful - no wonder this cheese is an award winner!

Last night found us out at the grill again, with the recurrent chicken breast-on-the-bone-with-roasted-potatoes-and-carrots meal that I am rather sick of but the Dinnerman loves so. Tonight I was planning to grill some tuna steaks and mako shark that we had stashed in the freezer after last week's Bridgeport Seafood splurge, but thanks to the stormy weather it looks like pan searing is in my future. No worries!

What's cooking in your world?

No comments: