Sunday, July 20, 2008

Don Jose Tequilas

Yesterday we ventured out into the mid-afternoon heat and haze to get a bite to eat. For some reason - maybe the weather lent itself to memories of trips to Mexico - Don Jose Tequilas came to mind. The Dinnerman had never been; I had been twice, although my most recent visit was several years ago.


I was immediately struck at how different the inside looks from how I remembered it. It seems much more intimate and cozy, with a relaxed "cantina" feel. There are plants around the bar, and hanging lights over the tables which lend to the feeling of privacy. The middle of the dining room has a tile floor reminiscent of a patio. Someone did a great job on decor here! The space looks completely different from its days as Restaurant Fuji.


We started out with a couple of margaritas - the Dinnerman ordered one with blue curacao, and I went a more traditional route. We both wanted salt and rocks, but I didn't get the salt. It's easy to understand how the one waitress overlooked that detail, however, as she was handling the bar and the dining room all by herself on a busy Saturday afternoon. I don't fault her; she did a great job and could have used some help.


Chips and salsa are brought out with our drinks. The salsa was pretty smooth and had a little heat. We both prefer a hotter and slightly chunkier variety. The chips were, quite simply, too hard.

The guacamole was very good, but again, we like chunks. That's a matter of personal preference though. We both thought the chips, salsa, and guacamole were inferior to those at El Rancho Grande.


Let me say that our entrees were really wonderful - much better than I ever expected. I had the Molcajete Azteca, a mixed grill including chicken, sirloin, shrimp, chorizo, cactus strips, and Viajero cheese served over a chipotle sauce in an actual molcajete, which is a traditional Mexican stone tool with legs used to grind spices and salsas and also as serving vessels. Molcajetes often have the head of an animal on the side; I think this one was a pig. This dish was so delicious - the meats and cheese were grilled to perfection and the sauce packed a spicy punch. The molcajete held heat very well - this dish stayed really hot for the duration. All this was served with corn tortillas, rice and beans.

(Sorry for the bad pic; I left my camera at home and took this with my phone)


The Dinnerman really enjoyed his Barbacoa de Chivo, or braised goat shanks, but he kept commenting that he will order the Molcajete next time, and kept stealing bites of my meat. This is very out of character for him; he likes to order his own dish and erect a fortress around it. It's taken 4 years for him to get to the point now where he sometimes offers me a bite of whatever he ordered, because he knows I love to try everything. So perhaps his eating off my plate is a good sign (although now that I think about it I didn't get to try the goat...).

The Molcajete Azteca can be ordered for two, but somehow I doubt we will do that, even if we both choose this entree next time.


In our final analysis we give El Rancho Grande the award for chips, salsa, and guacamole, but Don Jose Tequilas is heads and tails better in entree department - especially for that Molcajete!

We will be back soon.



Don Jose Tequilas
351 Atwells Avenue
Providence, RI 02903


Tel: (401) 454-8951
Fax: (401) 454-8952


There is parking in a small lot behind the restaurant, and they offer valet on Friday and Saturday nights.





No comments: