Saturday, July 5, 2008

Meals from the Grill



Last week was hot! I grilled on 3 occasions. Tuesday's dinner was a flank steak that was simply marinated in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and a splash of balsamic. It vanished before I could snap a picture, however.

Wednesday was grilled bone-in chicken breasts simply marinated in Italian dressing. I kind of feel all Semi-Homemade about using bottled dressing, but they come out so good that I just can't stop making them that way! I grilled asparagus too. Oven roasted red bliss potatoes with olive oil, garlic, and herbs accompanied the chicken along with a salad.

Thursday I grilled some mahi mahi and yellow squash. The fish was very boring. We both thought it needed something - olive oil, salt and pepper didn't cut it. I made a cold lentil salad that had much more pizazz than the fish - the Dinnerman loved it and so did I. The idea had been to keep the fish simple and have the lentils lend a big flavor punch, but next time I think I'll do something a little more intense with the fish itself. The lentils I will make again. I cooked a pound of brown lentils and combined them with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a jalapeno. This sat in the fridge all day and at the last minute I added an avocado. Next time I will use half a pound of lentils. My fridge has been overtaken by lentils - we've even been eating them for breakfast. Between those lentils and all the leftover potato salad from the 4th I can barely close the door.




I feel kind of void of course today. I think it's because we celebrated our independence with a bit too much verve yesterday! Too. Much. Of. Everything. Stick a fork in me!

No comments: