Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Salt Crusted Snapper is Yummy!

And pretty easy. And delicious, if you're into the whole fish thing, which I am - thank you very much.
This is one of my favorite meals. It's very easy.
Thanks, Babawa in Nashville, for reminding me that I know how to make this!

Just take a whole 3-4 pound red snapper (or other similarly sized fish) that's been gutted, and stuff the cavity with fresh thyme and garlic, and maybe some lemon slices too.

Rub the whole thing with olive oil, and place on a foil lined baking sheet (I use heavy duty foil, truly a godsend!)

Then take 4 eggwhites and beat them silly. When they start to tell foolish jokes it's time to add kosher salt or coarse sea salt until a relatively thick paste forms. It could take a couple of cups.

"Paste" this paste all over the fish until it's completely covered and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.

Roast in a 375 degree oven for about a half hour. You should smell the fish, herbs, and garlic perfuming your house (or apartment, condo, what have you) .

Then crack off the crust (which breaks away in big chunks) and lift the "top" fillet off. The skeleton running through the middle will then lift out easily allowing you to access the "bottom" fillet (which is really not the bottom of the fish, just the other side). Whaaa?

Eat with a green salad and a drizzle of olive oil and squeeze of lemon. Simple perfection.

Sorry for the continuous absence of photographic evidence. Must. Get. New. Digital. Camera.
(Would settle for the software cd for my current Canon Powershot A80)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph, I am truly honored to be mentioned in your posting. And, I can't wait to try the snapper. I am gonna try to make it myself - although I would much prefer to have you cook it for me. And, maybe a few peppers too. By the way, that soap is DIGUSTING.

Anonymous said...

oops. I spelled DISGUSTING incorrectly. The soap is DISGUSTING.