Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Fillings, Fall, and Soup

Fillings and fall require soup, so after Dr. Dinnerman's trip to the dentist this autumn afternoon I made him some of the variation-on-a-theme-of Italian Wedding variety.

Smells up the whole house, and tastes fantastic.

(Rachael Ray is in the background making her first pot of "choup" ever, which I gather is a cross between a chowder and a soup? Thinner than a chowder, thicker than a soup...she's also informed her viewing audience that "EVOO" is now in the dictionary...why do I do this to myself? I could be typing to the ambient noise of the nightly news)

So, my soup involves sauteeing carrots, garlic, celery and escarole in some shmaltz and olive oil, then adding chicken broth, water, and salt. I made mini meatballs which I broiled. They consist of about a pound of ground beef, some breadcrumbs, an egg, some grated romano cheese, and some parsley. Yum-o. (sorry, couldn't resist)
When the veggies are cooked, add some acini de pepe pasta, cook till al dente, and serve with some grated cheese. Maybe add a salad on the side, and some grilled jalapenos that your friend Kenny gave to you, just because he loves you. (wait, that's just me)

It doesn't hurt to have a little cheese plate too: maybe some St. Marcellin, some almonds, some grapes, some crackers, some vino.

Enjoy!

Off now to continue my job search. The market sucks here in RI. Many other things suck here too. It's a very beautiful place in many ways, but it's very corrupt, parochial, provincial and insular. There are the haves and the have nots here. It's a great place if you are from old money and well connected, or on welfare. Proceed at your own risk if you are anyone in between. If you haven't been here, you don't know what you're missing. I mean that in both the best and worst senses.

No comments: