Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tozai Sake

I've become quite enamored with Tozai sake of late. The first one I tried was the super-unfiltered and cloudy 'Snow Maiden' in the pink bottle. We couldn't find that one at Yankee Spirits this past Friday when we went to stock up on all manner of intoxicants for our big bash. They did have this one, 'Voices in the Mist', which is less cloudy though still unfiltered. I think I actually prefer this one, though the man disagrees. His first love will always be the 'Snow Maiden'.

It all started back in September when the man was in Chicago. His meeting ended early, and everyone but him was able to switch to an earlier flight. One of his favorite colleagues got the last seat on the only earlier flight with availability! My man was not happy - that is until his hotel, the Hyatt, gave him a free ticket to the first ever 'Gourmet Chicago' event that was being held that afternoon in Millenium Park.
That ticket was worth $150, and my lover's opinion of Hyatt Hotels skyrocketed as quickly as his frown turned into a smile. He got quite soused as he was able to taste all kinds of delicious food and drink. I know this because I had the privilege of hearing about it live as he drunk-dialed me (well, really he dialed Kenny as that was the day my phone died from texting in the rain, but I digress...) with the play-by-play.
He went on and on about how much I would really love the event and how it was right up my alley! I love when he does that. It's happened many a time from a variety of locations around the planet: Nice, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Tokyo...someday I'll get to those places! :)

Anyway, back to the sake. After hanging up the phone he met up with his longtime Japanese friend who just happened to be in Chicago as well, and they started in on the sake booth. Because his friend was Japanese he was able to communicate very well with the Japanese man who was running the Tozai booth, and, well, let's just say that Gourmet Chicago may have ended at 5pm that day, but their private party was just beginning...

He was still drunk when he landed in Providence, and ever since, we've been drinking more sake.

It snowed for the first time this season today in Providence, on the Dinnerman's birthday. Happy Birthday, baby.

No comments: