Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

This is a very simple meal, of which I make a version most weeks.
Sometimes I use a whole chicken, but this time I just did breasts.

I rub kosher salt into the chicken several hours before cooking and let it sit in the fridge as I find this makes the meat tender and the skin crisper.

I've begun to roast brussel sprouts, garlic, and cubed potatoes ahead of time so I can haul my butt to the gym and not have to rush to get everything done when I get home. I just douse them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and throw them in a 375 degree oven until they start to brown. The brussel sprouts tend to brown more quickly than the potatoes so I use separate pans - unlike when I roast potatoes with carrots, for example.

The chicken gets a quick pass under the broiler until the skin starts to brown, and then I turn the oven to 375 for about 20 minutes or until done.

Simple! I usually serve this meal with a salad including bitter greens, red onion, and sheep's milk feta.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What time did you say dinner was?

That chicken looks simply delicious.

Jeff

Steph said...

Thanks Jeff!

Dinner is whenever you come to snowy, freezing RI from your Florida paradise, which if you are of sound mind equates to the fifteenth of never!

Seriously, come for a visit. We'll roast you a chicken. Or take you for grilled pizza at Al Forno.
:)