Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lunch Among Giants

That's right. Lunch at Mike's today. Who do you suppose were at the next table?
Johanne Killeen and George Germon. Owners of Al Forno.

We knew they were regulars, but we hadn't seen them there before. Who even knew they were in town?

We arrived when they were already on to espresso, so I regret that I cannot report on their menu choices.

Last week I had the seafood diablo, and the Dinnerman had the delicious veal cutlet...preceeded by the ubiquitous calamari, which rivals any we've had in Rome.

This week we started with the most tender and fresh smelts I've ever tasted, in addition to the not-to-be-missed calamari. We had Kenny with us so it seemed appropriate to get more than one appy.

I was so sad that they were out of the baccala with polenta, my favorite dish. I decided on the stuffed squid, and I was not left wanting: 2 tender bodies with a bready stuffing, accompanied by a plethora of rings and tentacles perfectly cooked (in red wine?) over a huge mound of linguini in a quasi-red sauce. Enough food for 6 people, it seemed.

The Dinnerman had his old standby favorite default meal, that he no doubt wishes I would make at home (I've tried, for the record, and failed miserably. Will try again): veal and peas. So tender, in a red sauce, side of cavatelli.

Kenny setted into the sole francaise. Two delicate fillets, lightly egg-battered and fried, lemon wedges, side of roasted potatoes, peas and carrots.

Mike's Kitchen is where I want to eat every Saturday afternoon from today until the end of time.

The three of us continued the afternoon with a drive through the ghetto, and a stop at the liquor store.

I finished up some laundry and we watched Erin Brokovich on tv. My dad told me I reminded him of her with my crusade against the cigar bar downstairs! Ok then! Bring it on! I do have an edge to me.

While folding whites, I had the privilege to witness the neighbors playing what appeared to be tennis on their wii. Oh, the joys of condo living.

Then The Dinnerman and I played a bit of Scattergories, which we found is kind of lame with only two people.
Anyone want to come over?

(Category: Things you keep hidden that start with "A": Is it frightening that we both came up with "ass cheeks"?)


Tootles, my peeps. We're one day closer to springtime...and my birthday!

No comments: