Thursday, February 7, 2008

Combos Really Cheeses Your Hunger Away!


Wow. I have such a knack for remembering old jingles. And annoying people by singing them at the top of my lungs. I've surely missed my calling.
Here, have a gander:

"It's the creamiest, the dreamiest Velveeta Shells and Cheese! It's the creamiest, the dreamiest forget the powder please! Only we taste like this (eww!) Velveeta makes it the creamiest! Velveeta Shells and Cheese."

"Cheese filled Combos! Combos really cheeses your hunger away!"

"Oh oh oh ice cream and an oreo cookie...it's the creamy crunchy chocolate oh oh o-r-e-o...keeps ice cream from gettin' lonely oh oh oh the one and only..."


I have so many guilty pleasures this is sure to be old news to those who know Steph, but oh boy, I'm glad someone invented Combos. In my life these hadn't surfaced in a while.
They are so good. They bring me back to 1985, when I was a mere lass of 12. Or more recently to 2002, when Lisa Marie ate them routinely for lunch at work. She would sneak me one when no one was watching.

Trans-fat laden, with an aftertaste that can be described euphemistically as "chemical", Combos are decidedly not health food. No matter. They are part of the context that made me me. Part of my DNA practically, along with Circus Atari or jelly shoes, or getting my period for the first time while downing a bacon double cheeseburger at Burger King on a rainy day.
Like ribbon barrettes or Guess jeans. Pink, purple and green color combinations. Parachute pants. Scratch and sniff stickers. Strawberry Shortcake and Hello Kitty. Friendship pins. Duran Duran. Almost Home Cookies.

My. Childhood. Compressed. Like the cheesy filling of combos.

Extruded into a cheesy or a pretzel-y shell. I'll crunch on either, thank you very much.

No comments: