Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Greatest Interest...

What a year so far, and not in a good way.

My dad said to me once, "The greatest interest is self-interest."

That statement has never been more clear and relevant to me than it is today. There are the lines that divide, and that's that. No one cares about you, unless you have a family that cares. Or unless you pay someone to care. Money talks. It is what it is. It sucks to be on the bottom in this world, to have no power and no leverage.

Perhaps you think that I am referring to the situation with the cigar smoke in our condo. That's true, at least in part. I see the bigger picture too, though. More clearly than ever.
This world is a cruel place, and if you are on the outskirts it's hard to break through to the other side. Money goes to money. It's easier to get a job if you have a job. The cliches abound, but they are true.

It's not fair. And there is not much you can do about it. I'm having a big problem accepting that tonight. We went on the news; I've filed a formal complaint with the Department of Health; I've been in touch with our condo board, our condo board's lawyer, my city councilman, my state representative. And still this misanthrope opens his doors each night inviting all the displaced smokers of this area to his bar. They pollute my air, and that of every other condo resident in this 70 plus unit building, to varying degrees. He goes home, kisses his wife and/or kids goodnight, and lays his head down each night to sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I know how fucked up Rhode Island is, and how everyone passes the buck, but really, people, how is this okay?

You got some splainin' to do, my peeps.

5 comments:

valereee said...

Hi, Steph! Is this bar in your building? What happened to the bar that was previously in the location, Steam Alley?

Steph said...

Hi Valereee!
Yes, this bar is in my building, where Steam Alley was before it closed. We miss Steam Alley now more than ever. It was so relaxed, so convenient, so non-smoking. And what's not to love about foozball and pool?

valereee said...

I love bars like that! I've been wondering about the effects of no-smoking laws on bars -- whether some bars that useed to have smoking areas and were making it before the ban and then end up closing after the smoking bans go into effect. We've got a smoking ban here, too, and it wasn't supposed to, but it's hurting some bars pretty badly. Was Steam Alley always non-smoking, or just since the ban?

Steph said...

I believe just since the ban.

zubeldia said...

Oh hon, I'm sorry to hear about that. It sounds like a sucky situation.

But you're wrong about people caring. You don't pay me, but from what I know of you I can say that I care you about you.

Love Z