Thursday, February 5, 2009

Eating Nashville

We've been here in Nashville for the past several days - the Dinnerman for work and me for play! I experienced a long overdue deep tissue massage, but besides that haven't done much more that eat and drink. Very nice escape indeed!

This is the short version of the food report; for all the juicy details y'all will have to wait 'till I get home and have a chance to download all my pics and refer to my menus.

Claudia, of cookeatfret fame (http://www.cookeatfret.com/), gave me her top 3 restaurants in Nashville and we were fortunate enough to visit each one. We did Ombi first, then Watermark, and finally City House.

I'll give you the brief hilights, with more to follow.

At Ombi I ate the best sweetbreads of my entire life and found some rose-colored glasses in the bathroom, which I quickly and quietly appropriated. We were a party of 7 so the gratuity was included. The Dinnerman didn't notice and tipped an additional 20%, and they were kind enough to call me and tell me about it. In RI, somehow I don't think that would have been the case!

At Watermark - my favorite of the 3 dining experiences by far - I had an other-worldly appetizer of sauteed escargot with sweet potato dumplings and shaved truffles that was better than multiple orgasms. If you can believe it, this was my first encounter with shaved truffles. So sad I waited this long.

At City House, which is housed in an old aluminum factory and reminded me of Al Forno, we drank a fantastic Italian red and ate cured ham with peanuts, delicious olives, and the biggest taralli I've ever seen. The chef was a little heavy-handed with the salt, but the food was fabulous and we got to try Prichard's bourbon, which I definitely need to source.

Gotta run to the airport now...I have to leave you hanging. The people are so kind here it's beyond belief. I think I need to leave New England...



http://www.ombirestaurant.com/

http://www.watermark-restaurant.com/

http://www.cityhousenashville.com/

No comments: