Friday, August 15, 2008

Sausage and Lentil Soup

I make soup a lot. Out of the blue, an idea will start to coagulate, and before you know it I'm setting the big pot on the stove, laying the cutting board down, rummaging through the fridge and cupboards, dicing and sauteeing.
Maybe this is my subconscious scheming up ways to use the last bits of this and that before the next market haul. Maybe it's just part of my particular brand of crazy. In any case, I had a bout last week, and came up with this little number.
The Dinnerman has learned to just accept these seemingly random fits of inspiration. Instead of asking, "why are you making soup now?" he now only asks, "what smells so good, Schmoopie?".

As Festivus begins with the airing of grievances, a good soup starts with a flavorful stock. Or does it? Up to this point I never used stock or broth in creating a sausage soup. I think it's because I once read a recipe for Portuguese kale and chourico soup that called for water and no stock, so stuck in my head now. Whatever.
This time I broke tradition and used homemade vegetable stock (my first ever!). The flavor of the final product benefits from it, I think. It's fuller, rounder, more substantial tasting.

I sauteed 6 hot Italian sausage links in the casing in olive oil, then added diced onion and garlic as I cubed 2 medium potatoes, which went in next. I added the broth and lentils, brought it to a simmer and let it cook until the lentils became tender. At the last minute I decided to add spinach, so in went a brick of the frozen stuff. A splash of cider vinegar for balance, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper to taste, and there you have it!

It made a lot! We ate some, the man took a big container to work, and there were still a few quarts hanging around the fridge. Fortunately, this soup freezes well, and that's where the rest is residing.

No comments: