Saturday, April 5, 2008

Waterman Grill

We ate at the Waterman Grill tonight, which lives in the space that was the Gatehouse for many many years.

The place is as beautiful as ever, all hardwoods and windows, with the smell of the wood-burning grill and stunning views of the Seekonk River and East Providence predominating. You can see where the EP cops like to hide out and talk with one another if you come at the right time. We did, for that.

The rest of it was meh, with the exception of a couple of stellar Stoli Dolis on the rocks.

Let's just say that I miss the Gatehouse. It's kind of like what my dear cousin Michelle said one time, when visiting Rhode Island from her native California. The year was 1986; I was a lass of 13. We were brought to TJ Maxx by my aunt Crystal, who has always loved to shop. Michelle said, "These clothes - it's kind of like it would be ok if you had them, and ok if you didn't."

I wanted to love it, but it was just ok. Nothing was really wrong, but nothing was really remarkable either (except for those Stoli Dolis! They are not easy to perfect. I've tried.)

No comments: