Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cardinals in the Courtyard


We have a pair of Cardinals (Eastern Cardinals - Cardinalis cardinalis) in our courtyard. We awaken to their songs as they hang out on the balcony. I put out a spread of seeds for them in an effort to keep them coming back for more. I had read something online that said they eat a diet that is 70% seeds and 30% insects. Apparently they are fond of sunflower seeds. I could only find salted pumpkin seeds in the house, so I scattered those around. I just hope they don't get too bloated.



I am fascinated by these birds. I find myself crouching in the doorway of my bedroom, watching as they drink and eat. I can hear their clear song all day - the "cheer cheer cheer", the "what what what". We gave them names. I bestowed upon the male the name Benedictus; the Dinnerman named his littly woman Betty.

Birds are amazing. It must nice to fly so high above it all.




No comments: