Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Misadventures in the (Not So) Friendly Skies!

Our little late winter jaunt to Cozumel was great - just what the doctor ordered.
Mostly we just bummed around on the beach and relaxed, drinking too many Margaritas (if there is such a thing) and eating delicious food.
We scheduled a fishing expedition with the enticing promise of catching some mahi mahi or tuna, but strong winds made the harbor master nervous and it was not to be. Those winds were also quite foreboding with regard to our return trip in the middle of a snowstorm that crippled the entire east coast. Leave it to us to garner the fortune of scheduling our return trip for that very day.

Since my camera is in my luggage which is stuck in some yet-to-be-determined location, this post will focus on our little misadventure in commercial air travel. The next one will give you a taste of our beautiful trip! But today, with regret, it's the bad news first.

The first leg of our return journey was great (if you consider anything about leaving Mexico to be great) but all hell broke loose once we missed our connecting flight in Philly by about 5 minutes. Without reliving all the gory details, let's just say that instead of enjoying Chinese delivery on our couch in our warm home last night as planned, we wound up at a hotel in Philadelphia at 1 am eating microwaved Lean Cuisine and drinking Sutter Home Chardonnay straight from the bottle. Good times!
The folks at the Courtyard by Marriott could not have been more accomodating, though I cannot say anything near the same about any of the people we encountered at the US Airways "help desk" at the Philadelphia airport - and that may be the understatement of my lifetime.

So, after about 3 hours of sleep we dragged our under-caffeinated and under-dressed asses in the freezing and icy early morning darkness back to the airport, only to find that the flight we were booked on to Boston was cancelled. Okay then! No problem. We'll just add a couple more connections to this journey and the next thing you know we're acting out The Amazing Race.

They made us go through security twice, delayed a couple more flights, and lost our luggage, but now we're home. Ever the optimist, I am thankful for the delay in getting our bags home. Less laundry! Now I'm off to take a long hot shower to wash that air travel experience right out of my hair. Never have I been so happy to return home to Rhody. Not. Ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to post pictures?


Jeff

Steph said...

Jeff,

I posted my pics on Flickr; you can access my photostream by clicking on the pics on my site.

I have far fewer than I realized. Our fishing trip was cancelled due to winds, and I guess we were busy doing nothing at all (and, er, certain other things...)! :)