Thursday, January 22, 2009

Steak!


Broiled Garlic Ribeye
Originally uploaded by whatstepheats
It's been quite a week around here! Last Tuesday we had a leaking pipe declare itself by dripping on the Dinnerman's head while he was using the downstairs facilities. (It was funny actually - I could hear him singing 'Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head')
Holes in the ceilings and walls ensued; loud fans and enormous dehumidifiers occupied our living room, bedroom, and 2 bathrooms for 5 days!

We were going gaga from the noise. It was impossible to sleep without earplugs, and we were tripping a circuit each time we turned on the tv. That especially sucked since we just got a Wii and have a mild addiction developing!

So, you can imagine our relief when Providence Fire Restoration came to take those suckers (blowers, whatever) away. They wheeled the machines out the door at a fitting time - just as our new president was giving his oath. (I thought he was nervously forgetting the words, but later learned the truth! It was being read to him incorrectly. And I heard that Obama is so thorough that he had the swearing in process repeated correctly! I love that, as I would do the same.)

Anyhoo, back to the food!

Last night I broiled steaks - ribeye for the Dinnerman, sirloin strip for me. I loaded them with garlic and olive oil and broiled them until they were perfectly medium rare.
Along with the meat I roasted up some red potatoes with garlic and sliced red, yellow and green hot peppers in plenty of olive oil. I also threw together a simple salad of baby spinach, red onion, tomatoes, and feta.

Steakhouse meal in a snap, complete with the pre-dinner Maker's Manhattan, in a quiet home.

Still, I can't wait for January to end. February promises a couple of trips to warmer climes.

No comments: