Thursday, June 12, 2008

In Which Steph Talks Coherently for a Change...About Wine

(as coherent as I get, anyway)


I want to make everyone aware of some delicious wines I've been drinking from an amazing vineyard in California that has 2 names. Sort of a dichotomous existence, which, if we are honest with ourselve, we all lead.





The wine I refer to goes by the names Easton and Terre Rouge. Easton is the family name of Bill Easton, President and winemaker, who has been involved in the industry for over 30 years in a variety of capacities - from retailer to importer to vineyard consultant.


Since the mid-80's, Bill has been handcrafting wine in the Sierra Foothills of California, using sustainable farming practices and solar power. Terre Rouge means "red earth"; this soil is a hallmark of the region. These wines are made from Rhone varietals grown in the terroir of the Sierra Foothills. Bill uses the family name Easton on the wines that are made from non-Rhone varietals.


I've sampled both and can say they are remarkably complex and lush. We drank the Easton Barbera with my pasta with Sunday gravy, and it was reminiscent of the best Italy has to offer. It's no wonder these wines are often compared with European wines. They have many layers of complexity.

I gathered much of these facts from the website of Terre Rouge and Easton wines, and something I read really resonated with my experiences: these wines are described as having a "full middle palate, and a long finish...". What a spot on description.



My first experience was with the Tete a Tete, at the suggestion of a wine expert at Campus Liquors on Brook Street in Providence. I was looking for a wine that would go well with cheese, and I had people to impress. I thought the label of this red wine looked French. I was surprised to learn after having tasted it that this wine was from California. I went back to Campus the next day, only to find they were sold out. They did tell me it goes fast. And as these wines' production quantities are dictated by the elements and not purely the demand, their supply is not constant and continuous. For me, that's part of the charm.

I then was sold on a bottle of the Roussanne, a white which has become one of my favorite whites of all time. It has such a rich and full feel in my mouth, and is really honey-like and luscious - not too dry. I love this wine. I'm sipping it now; thinking about my last bottle half empty in the fridge is making me panic.

Bill Easton prides himself on creating wine that has both power and finesse, never compromising quality for quantity - in fact, quite the opposite is true. Small batches of less than 600 cases are the norm. So go buy some, if you can find it! My unrefined "review" didn't do these wines justice.

Here's a link to their website, which is very well written and informative. This is a classy operation, no question. Buy a bottle and enjoy!

http://www.terrerougewines.com/index.html

No comments: