Friday, May 30, 2008

"I'll Have My Eclipse, Dolores..."


...and Steph will have her percebes.


Yes, I did. Seek these out. And eat them. Sea barnacles.
So did the Dinnerman. And we loved them. Even though they look like prehistoric elephant "toes", or something.
They taste great. You just give them a little twist, and out comes this jiggly shaft-like thingy which you stick in your mouth. Then you crack open the hoof and eat its contents, which tasted like lobster on the larger ones (at least that's what the Dinnerman said...). Not sure I concur with that assessment, but ok.
To my palate, they are deliciously fresh and briny tasting. - like the sea. The "shaft" has the texture of really tender octopus and the "hoof" is a bit more intense and sweet - more firm and sometimes almost slightly crunchy.
We looked all over for these, and finally found them at Restaurante Santiago in Marbella, where I had what was easily the best meal of the trip and maybe even of my life. Go there.
RESTAURANTE SANTIAGO
Paseo MarĂ­timo, 5 - MARBELLA
Tel. 95 277 00 78
Fax. 95 282 45 03

No comments: