Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy 2010, Y'all!


Roosevelt Lobby, NOLA
Originally uploaded by whatstepheats

So we emerge into a new decade as well as a new year!

(I'm all reflective tonight, so as I listen to the man playing Wii golf and sip my potato vodka, I will let loose some of my random thoughts.)

First of all, it just hit me the other day that we are indeed embarking on a brand new decade as well as turning the calendar over for another year. The past 10 years have been filled with some of the highest highs and the lowest lows of my 36 years. There were quite a few new additions to my family (blood and chosen!). People were married and others were buried. Relationships ended and other, more lasting ones, were forged.

I learned a lot, about myself, about the world, about pain, and about joy. It was a difficult decade, but then again, it did teach me to appreciate how fragile we are, which in turn lead me to value every moment a little more than I used to. Is that just part of growing older?

There is much still in my life that is not the way I want it to be, but I think above all, I've learned that life is not perfect. It's a process, and while the grass may always seem greener over the septic tank, it smells pretty bad there too. Trade-off?

I wish you all prosperity, success, health, and happiness in the coming year. Here's to 2010! (That's 'twenty ten'. Not 'two thousand ten'. I made up my mind...)

No comments: