Sunday, August 17, 2008

Very Local Striped Bass


Striped Bass
Originally uploaded by whatstepheats
A thank you to my neighbor, Ricardo Diaz, for catching this gorgeous striped bass and sending it our way like manna from heaven. Thanks also to his lovely wife, whose bass-aversion is a boon to the Dinnerman and me.
These babies were a bit hit around here Friday night, very simply crusted in cornmeal and pan-fried. The Dinnerman rarely raves about fish; he is still talking about this bass 2 days later.

Thanks Ricardo! Keep the bass flowing!

I suppose I should talk a bit about how I prepared this, for the minions who come by for the "recipes". It was simple, really. I salted and peppered the fillets, then dredged them in beaten egg and rolled them around in cornmeal. Into a pan filled about 3/4 inch high with olive oil until they browned on both sides, into the oven to finish cooking. They were really good slathered with hot sauce.

No comments: