Friday, October 24, 2008

Stuff I Love From Whole Foods Market

I posted this pic on my Flickr photostream, and was asked to add it to the Whole Foods Market Group by the administrator.
It got me thinking about some of my other favorites from WFM.

Here is my list, off the top of my head:

1) Olives: Whole Foods has such a wide and excellent variety of olives in interesting preparations. Some of our faves include the pictured Sicilian-spiced variety; the feta- and blue cheese-stuffed green ones; the sampler of mixed pitted olives; and the large green pitted ones with citrus and garlic.

2) Fresh Mozzarella: Whole Foods has 2 sizes of water-packed fresh mozzarella balls - the cherry-sized 'ciliegine' ($3.99), and egg-sized 'ovoline' ($5.99). They are rich in flavor, creamy in texture, and very reasonably priced. Mmmm...craving some as I type this.

3) 365 Chunky Peanut Butter: I am talking about the kind with only peanuts and salt; again - great taste at a great price - around $2 a jar.

4) 365 Sparkling Water: We love all the flavors, especially the strawberry. I don't know how much of a factor the glass bottling has to do with it, but this water has the perfect amount of sparkle and a refreshing fruity flavor. I think a liter costs around $1.39.

5) 365 Salted Almonds (in the re-sealable bag): For some reason these seem crunchier and fresher than others. I always have a bag stashed in the freezer.

6) Eggs: I try to buy Rhode Island eggs at farmers' markets whenever possible. My favorites of all time are from Wishing Stone Farm in Little Compton, with the newly-discovered eggs from my friend's chickens just over the CT border running neck-in-neck. But a close second are the eggs I've been buying for years at WFM. They're very fresh with a rich yellow-orange yolk and great flavor. We are really lucky in the egg department here in Rhode Island.

7) WFM Air-chilled Free-range hormone- and antibiotic-free Whole Chickens: These are a new discovery for me. I confess, up until several months ago, I was quite non-discrimating in my meat choices. With seafood, I was my usual picky self. But with meat, I was lazy. I credit Jen of Last Night's Dinner (http://www.lastnightsdinner.net/) with having been the most influential factor in the change in my approach to both meat and food in general - I think more now about where it all comes from and I think that makes me value it much more than ever. But I swear, these chickens have changed me. I do love the ones I can get from Pat's Pastured, at the farmers' markets, but I honestly think the WF chickens win in the taste (as well as the convenience) department. Plus, I think it's a sign that the first one I bought had 2 hearts in the cavity - one for my baby and one for myself!
(I find the all the meats superior at Whole Foods, and will not buy meat from any other market. This is my relatively new policy - Whole Foods or farmers' markets for meat. Nowhere else.)

8) 365 Olive Oil: What a fruity and fresh-tasting everyday olive oil at a mere $7.99/ liter!

9) Tofu: Is it 365, or WF? In any case, it's around $1.29 per 1 pound block. How can you go wrong?

10) Shells and Cheese: Yes, in the box! Again, I'm not sure if it's WF or 365, but this stuff is a total guilty pleasure of mine, and at 99 cents a box (less than half the price of Annie's, the last time I checked), it's a very affordable vice. When you're all id like I am, it helps to have one or two indulgences that don't completely drain the bank account! Times are tough.

There is so much more that I love about Whole Foods. And conversely, there are a few things I am not so fond of. If I seem to come across as something of a sycophant (a rather uncommon accusation in my experience), I feel obligated to disclose that I am not in any way affiliated with WFM - these are purely unsolicited raves, and those are my top 10.

In fact, if I hadn't already poured myself a bourbon in an effort to assuage the loneliness of having my favorite person in the whole universe - the only one who understands and still loves the wacko that I am - away for the weekend, I might just jump in my Volvo and shoot my ass over there right this minute. But I won't drive after drinking and it's kind of far to walk this late at night...

Alas, tonight I will likely be eating Little Chopsticks (fave local Chinese delivery, though I miss Ming, the former owner), delivered to my door, as I finish up the laundry. What an enticing and exciting life I lead! But it's my life! I am more content than I've been in as long as I can remember. Happiness is priceless; I am very, very fortunate; I am also very, very flawed.

I hear the dryer buzzing, and 10 Ingredient Chow Mei Fun sounds good right about now.

But tomorrow...it is another day to spend another couple of sawbucks at my local Whole Foods.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby? Are you expecting?

Bob Black said...

Have you tried the Meditteranean Tofu and Ed's Tofu at the salad bar? Also, the olive tapenade from the salad bar... and the bulk section is great.

Stephanie said...

Ha ha, I have the same "olive dish" (I also use one as a candle holder), I love St. Marcellin!

Stephanie said...

P.S. To actually reply to the post too - we recently discovered that you can get huge unstuffed olives there - great for making blue-cheese stuffed olives. They're surprisingly hard to find!

Here are my favorite Whole Foods purchases -

Bulk foods - esp. the organic oatmeal (which just went up in price, but used to be cheaper than Quaker's). Sometimes nuts go on sale and I stock up.

Freeze dried yogurt starter - I have no idea where else to buy this.

Steph said...

Stephanie,

I have about 15 of these 'olive dishes', but had not thought to use one as a candle holder - thanks for the great idea!

I also love when their nuts go on sale. WFM has the best nuts.

I love their bulk section. Hadn't thought to stuff my own olives or make my own yogurt, but those too are great ideas!

Bob,

Yes, I love the tofu at their salad bar. I'll have to check out the olive tapenade!