Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ile de France Le Brie - An Evaluation


Le Brie
Originally uploaded by whatstepheats
Last month I was contacted by a representative from Ile de France asking me if I would like to try one of their cheeses and write about my opinion. They had found my blog and found it "interesting".
Being a sucker for a compliment, I acquiesced, with the warning that I am brutally honest. They said fine, we are confident in our product, bring it on!
I was expecting a wedge of brie; instead, an entire wheel came in the mail - perfect timing the week after my lobster bender. There goes any attempt to lower my cholesterol, thought I. (Yeah right...as if that will ever happen)

I admit I went into this endeavor expecting to be less than thrilled. First of all, this cheese is mass-produced and marketed. How much personal attention could go into each batch? Secondly, consider the audience to which it is marketed - the American public. Need I say more? Is the target demographic really into stinky, runny, nuanced cheese? Or are they looking for something to grab while running up and down the aisles at the local big chain grocery store to impress at the potluck?

Maybe that sounds a little harsh, but hey, this is my blog. These are my opinions. You don't like it? Go watch Nickelodeon.

On to my thoughts on this brie. First, it had a very smooth and creamy texture. Even the rind was rather soft for a brie, which was good because I like the rind. I liked that about it very much.
But the second issue is of course flavor. There just wasn't any. It had none. If you liquified this cheese and put it on my tongue I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was. I really love strong tasting cheeses - the runnier and stinkier the better - and this just had no taste.
I gave Kenny a couple of wedges and he independently came up with the same comment - no flavor. He said, "I kept eating more and more of it waiting for it to taste like something, but it never happened."
Now my friend is constipated, his taste buds left wanting.

So, would I buy this? While I appreciate the attention from Ile de France, the answer would have to be an unmitigated 'No'. I can't think of any situation for which I would make any effort to obtain this cheese.

Just sayin'.

No comments: